Getting Back Into Baking...

Friday, 11 August 2017

I have been vowing to get back into baking again for some time, so am constantly on the lookout for new recipes to try. Whenever I visit Waitrose, I like to have a peek at the monthly recipes that they display on a stand in one of the aisles to see if there's anything in particular that catches my eye, and a few days ago, I happened to notice a rather lovely looking recipe for a Peach and Almond Cake and thought that I would actually have a stab at making it myself...

Which is just what I did, and considering that the cake I made actually turned out looking half-decent, I thought I would share my take on the Waitrose recipe here today!


Ingredients:

For The Cake Itself:
75g Flaked Almonds
125g Butter
225g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs
150ml Soured Cream
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
 A Tin of Peach Halves (in light syrup)

For The Frosting:
280g Soft Cheese
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Icing Sugar

Method:

1. First, I preheated the oven to 180 degrees celsius, then lined my traybake tin with baking paper.
2. Next, I placed 25g of flaked almonds on to a separate baking tray, and put them into the oven for about 5 minutes (or just until they were golden brown).
3. I then beat the caster sugar and butter in a mixing bowl until they were creamy, before gradually also stirring in the beaten eggs and soured cream. After that, I added the rest of the flaked almonds (although I ground these up a bit first), along with the almond extract and flour.
4. After mixing everything together, I evenly spread the mixture into a lined baking tray. In terms of the peaches, I just drained the syrup from them and then dabbed them dry before cutting them up into wedges and pressing them gently into the mixture in the tray. 
5. I then popped the cake into the oven for about 35 minutes (or just until it was a nice golden brown), and after it had finished baking, I left it to cool for some time.
6. When the cake had cooled considerably, I began making the frosting. Placing the soft cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar in a bowl, I beat the frosting together and then spread it evenly on top of the cake. I then sprinkled the toasted almonds from earlier on top, before then cutting the cake up into squares.


After that, all that was left to do was to try a piece of the cake for myself... I must admit that it did taste pretty good indeed, especially with the cheesecake-like frosting on top, and whilst I did stray from the original recipe slightly, I shall definitely be on the look out for some more recipes in Waitrose in the future!

Olivia xo

4 comments:

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10