Recently Read....

Sunday, 13 November 2016

I do love a good book, and simply find my life feeling a little empty whenever there isn't a book in it for me to read (as I found out some weeks ago, after having not read a book on my own accord for a month or so). Therefore, as you can probably imagine, I do get through books rather quickly indeed, and because of this, thought it wise to compile a list of some of the books that I have read more recently in a post today...


1984 -  George Orwell - many of you may well be wondering why I chose to read this book, considering that on the most part it is often considered as a book that people frequently read at school and at university. However, I have personally never had the chance to read this book under such circumstances and had therefore found myself feeling rather intrigued by it for some years...plus, after buying a really cool bookmark, that contains a list of the books that 'you have to read before you die' and seeing it sat right at the top of said list, I just knew that I had to give this one a go.


I do quite like a classic novel, and because of this 1984 was right up my street, and was also in fact, on the most part, a rather enjoyable read. Most people kind of know a little about the background story of this book, and how it is set in a dystopian world, where what was formerly the UK is now controlled by an omnipresent government, fronted by the leader Big Brother. This book is filled with all sorts of themes, and is mostly made up of the forbidden romance between two people in a tyrannic society - whilst some parts were a little slow, and a little dull, I did mostly really enjoy this read (I also really loved the cover of the book itself, and was pretty drawn in to buy it because of that too) and can see why it is so highly regarded in the literary world, as it really does make you look at some aspects of life a little differently.

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte - another rather classic novel, I know, but it occurred to me after looking at the books that I am to read for my A-Level English Literature course, that this certain title was one of those that I would soon be studying...so, me being me, and wanting to get a bit of a head start on the reading, decided to purchase this book some months back.


I actually got round to reading this book towards the latter stages of the summer, and to be honest, actually got through it's near 500 page mass rather quickly considering the fact that I wasn't sure whether I would like this book at all to begin with. Centred around the character of Jane Eyre (obviously), this book follows said person as they narrate us through their life and explain all of the ups and downs of their relationships and emotions with us. Although, at the start of reading this book, I wasn't really feeling as though the story was going anywhere anytime soon, it did quickly pick up and after the first couple of chapters or so, I felt myself getting rather immersed in the tale - and now, simply cannot wait to actually begin studying it at school, as it is certainly a classic tale that everyone should have a read of at least once.


The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald - what is it with me and all these classic books? The simple answer is that I really do actually enjoy having a read of all the 'timeless', 'you need to read this book in your lifetime' types of novel, and therefore, after feeling the urge to read The Great Gatsby for a reasonably long amount of time, I finally took the plunge a few weeks back and ordered it.

I did sort of know the story of this book after having watched the film version of it not so long ago (the one with Leonardo Di Caprio)...although, I didn't actually reach the end of the film, so after reading the book from cover to cover, the ending was still a bit of surprise to me. However, I must say that whilst this book didn't take me all that long to read, I really really did enjoy it - the detailed descriptions really do transport you back to the glitz and glamour of a 1920's New York party, whilst the story itself and the characters involved really do keep you turning the pages...all the while leaving you thinking just who is this mysterious Gatsby, and what will become of all those around him?


Currently Reading - Where My Heart Used to Beat - Sebastian Faulks - despite the fact that I am only two thirds of the way through this book, and so can't completely judge it in terms of story (and of course the all important ending), from what a have read so far, I can confirm that it is a pretty good book, and whilst not one of my all time favourites, is still definitely worth a read. 'Where My Heart Used To Beat' tells the story of a man who is reflecting on the events that have shaped his life throughout the twentieth century, after he journeys to France to meet a mysterious gentleman who claims to have been friends with his late father. At the moment, I can't really envisage just where the whole storyline of this book is going, and unlike with many books I don't have a clue what sort of ending it will have...which is really making me want to get through the last one hundred pages or so, to find out just what is on the horizon.


I know personally that I just love having a look through posts centred on book reviews, or about book that people love and have recently read, so as to get some inspiration on the novels and titles that I should also look out for in the future....therefore, I do hope that you all enjoyed having a nose at the books that I have recently read today, as whether certain books are your cup of tea or not, sometimes I do find that it's just nice to see what people think of them anyway!

Also....don't forget to mention some of your recently read and favourite books in the comments below!

Olivia xo

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read 1984, but Jayne Eyre is one of my favourite classics, love Fitzgerald too. Great books, thanks for sharing. Highly recommend Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier if you haven't read it xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh thank you for the recommendation, I have been intrigued by Rebecca for a while now so definitely need to give it a read!

      Delete
  2. If you're into American novellas I'd definitely recommend The Catcher In The Rye if you haven't read it already :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly love American books so shall be taking a look at The Catcher in the Rye too, thank you!!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED 1984.. was "forced" to read it in school so obviously didn't like it much back then but picked it up a few years back and LOVE it!

    xx Lisa
    lisaautumn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great book isn't it!!

      Delete
  4. Such a nice post dear! Thanks ;)

    www.evdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have all of those but the last one. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are, I love them all so much!!

      Delete
  6. I've got to say, your blog is one of my absolute favourites, your photography is beaut! xo

    sophiejc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10