Baking Cupcakes...

Sunday, 11 September 2016

As you all probably (well...definitely) know, I really do love baking and for that reason, the other day I went ahead and whipped up another creation. Said creation was in fact some Raspberry and Cocount Cupcakes (I actually also wrote about a Raspberry, Coconut and Almond Traybake recently, but I can assure you that whilst the names of that cake and these sound the same, my latest cupcakes really are quite different!) which I found on the BBC Good Food site.


As after making these cupcakes, I found myself feeling pretty happy with what I had achieved (I'm normally terrible at making buttercream, decorating cakes, and generally making them look pretty... but this attempt actually worked out for some reason), and therefore though it would be nice to share my take on the recipe with you all today...

Ingredients:

For the Cakes:

175g Self-Raising Flour
140g Caster Sugar
50g Desiccated Coconut
140g Butter
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract (I normally just pour a big splash in though)
4tbsp Milk
140g Raspberries (fresh or frozen, it doesn't really matter)

For the Buttercream Icing:

280g Icing Sugar (sifted as it is rather lumpy to start)
85g Butter
A bit of Desiccated Coconut to sprinkle on top/to decorate
(I also added a few drops of milk to get the icing to bind together a little better)


Method:

1. Firstly, after getting all my ingredients together, I lined a 12-hole cupcake tin with cases and preheated the oven to 170 degrees celsius.

2. Then, I got all the cake ingredients (apart from the raspberries) and mixed them together in a mixing bowl until relatively smooth (this recipe is insanely easy in this respect, as there's no creaming butter and sugar or mixing the flour out separately...you literally just stick it all in the bowl and mix). When completely combined, I added the raspberries and folded them into the mixture until they were slightly mushed/broken up.

(Before they went in the oven...)

3. Next, I separated the mix into the cupcake cases and baked for around 20 minutes, or until the cakes were pretty much completely golden brown on top.

4. After leaving the cakes to cool for a while, I then started on making my buttercream mixture- mixing together the icing sugar and butter (and adding a couple of drops of milk from time to time to get it to combine a little easier), I then proceed to smooth the icing on top of my cakes using a knife (after an attempt at piping it on went tragically wrong).

5. When all of my cakes were iced, I sprinkled a little coconut on top just to finish off the look. Of course then, after popping in the fridge for a while to set the icing, I got to work on tucking into the cakes...which actually tasted rather good in the end!

This recipe is actually probably one of the easiest that I have used in a long time, and what with the results of it turning out to be pretty lovely as well, I shall definitely be adding these cupcakes to my list of favourites, and will 100% be having another go at making them again in the near future.

Hopefully, you all really liked the sound of the recipe (and hopefully liked the look of the cupcakes too)... plus don't forget to check out the original recipe HERE to see how the professionals do it!

Olivia xo

8 comments:

  1. Forget the professionals these look insane!! Defo adding it to the recipe book!

    Parie x
    classandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!! I'm so glad you like the look of them!

      Delete
  2. Looks great!

    www.evdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love buttercream icing so these look like cakes that I should make! xx
    http://blossomofhope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, I can't resist any cake with it on!

      Delete
  4. Love baking cupcakes!!! Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10