Favourite Films - The Classics

Wednesday, 3 August 2016


If there's one thing I love, and have an immense passion for (apart from the usual topics of beauty and fashion) then it would just have to be movies! For a very long time now, I have been an admirer of all things film, and in my rather short life have so far watched a rather large amount of movies. 

A particular favourite area of the movies for me though, is the classics- I have very much been enjoying watching older movies, from the more classic age of Hollywood, for several months now and although I do think that I would like to create more posts in future about other films that I like to watch, I figured I would start with the oldest ones as I do fear they are quite often forgotten by many people out there...


The Romance
Roman Holiday-1953


Roman Holiday was one of the first classic movies that I watched, and as soon as I had finished seeing it (or even during my watching of it), I knew that it was to become a firm favourite of mine for forever more. Captured in black and white, this beautiful story encapsulates the whirlwind romance between a Princess (Audrey Hepburn) and a Newspaper Reporter (Gregory Peck), as they spend the day exploring the sights of Rome after the princess, fed up with the regal life she leads, escapes from her guardians.

Everything about this movie is simply marvellous; the story, location, outfits and much more cement it as an absolute classic by my reckoning, and furthermore make it a movie that you just have to watch at least once. Hepburn herself delivers a fantastic performance as the princess on the run, which lead her to win an Academy Award for Best Leading Actress, and it definitely ranks up there with the best movies that she made (I would go so far as to say, that I actually prefer it to Breakfast at Tiffany's, which is arguably her most iconic role).

The Musical
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes- 1953


If you are looking for something easy to watch though as your first classic movie, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is probably right up your street! Regarded as a musical (although it is not really cheesy in any way as some musicals can be, and only contains a handful of songs), this film is the perfect feel good watch...

Starring Marilyn Monroe as a showgirl in one of her first major roles, and Jane Russell as her counterpart, the two embark on a transatlantic cruise whilst both trying to find true love (although both have a very different take on what true love is to them, with Monroe's character only wishing for money and materialistic items, whilst Russell's would much prefer someone who genuinely reciprocates her feelings). The two get up to all sorts of antics onboard their cruise though, and well-known songs like 'Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend' are part of the line up, making it a must-watch for any fan of Marilyn Monroe, or someone who loves movies like myself.

The Best Picture Winner
The Apartment- 1960

(Image from http://emanuellevy.com/review/featured-review/oscar-best-picture-the-apartment-1960/)

I genuinely had no idea what The Apartment was, or what it entailed as a movie, when I saw it whilst searching through the Netflix one day- yet, when I saw that it was in fact an Academy Awards Best Picture Winner, I just knew that I had to give it a watch. Now of course, I am immensely glad that I did give this movie a try, as again I now know it to be one of my favourite films (I have even gladly watched it again since, to show my Mom how good a film it actually is)!

Another beautiful black and white movie, this story is centred around office worker C.C Baxter (Jack Lemmon) who lets the high-flying executives at his workplace use his apartment to pursue their affairs, in the hope that it will let him work his way to the top at the office. Things get complicated however, when his boss finds out about the goings on, and he also starts to fall for the troubled elevator girl Fran (Shirley MacLaine)- all of which events lead to a rather exciting story that keeps you hooked right up until the end of the movie...making it another (slightly underrated) classic movie that I would highly recommend.

The Hitchcock Thriller
Rear Window- 1954


When I think of classic movies, I must say that the name Hitchcock does often come to mind, and considering there is such a wide collection of films directed by the man, it definitely is a must for everybody to try and watch at least one at some point. Although I have only seen a handful of Hitchcock films so far, I would probably have to say that Rear Window just about snatches the award for my favourite at the moment. The first classic thriller that I watched (and I think, the first old movie that I actually watched ever), Rear Window is a fantastic movie by all accounts...

In the film, James Stewart's photographer character has broken his leg, and whilst bound to a wheelchair in his small apartment takes to looking out of the window at those who live around him. One day, he believes he has witnessed one of his neighbours murdering their wife, yet despite what evidence he collects to prove the man guilty, no one apart from his girlfriend (played by the ever glamourous Grace Kelly) will believe him. A gripping tale from start to finish, although this movie is only shot in one location (the apartments) it is still a fantastic tale (that is also worth watching if like me, you love the classic Hollywood style, as Grace Kelly outfits are just gorgeous)!

The Comedy
Some like it Hot- 1959

(Image from http://athenacinema.com/100-years-of-the-athena-some-like-it-hot-one-day-only-saturday-june-27th/)

Finally, if you want to watch a classic movie and are feeling as though you want to have a bit of a laugh, then Some Like it Hot is just perfect for you! Another black and white film, this rather hilarious tale tells the story of two musicians (Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon) who have no other option but to go undercover, after they supposedly witness the St Valentines Day Masscare. And go undercover they do, but as two women set to perform with an all female music group who are to travel to Miami- on their journey they meet Sugar (Marilyn Monroe), and end up in all sorts of scrapes as they try and keep up the feminine pretences, whilst hiding from the gangsters who want them dead at the same time.

While the concept of this movie may seem a little crazy, it is definitely one of my favourite classic movies; not only is it funny, the story is also very clever and does very much keep you hooked and intrigued as to what will happen to the leading characters. I could personally watch this film over and over, as for me it never gets old (despite being nearly sixty years old now, it is still recognised as one of the most popular and brilliant comedy movies of all time, and is for that reason definitely worth a watch)!

***

Anyway, as you can probably tell after reading this post, I am a pretty big movie fan (especially of the Classic Hollywood movies) and am always on the lookout for new movies to have a watch of! I would definitely love to create some more posts like this in the future, detailing the films I love and why I love them, for any of you out there who need a bit of inspiration on a movie to watch, or just want to learn some new bits and pieces about films you may have never seen before!

I do hope you all enjoyed this post (please let me know which movies you love in the comments below also, as I would love to hear about the films you regard as your favourites, whether they be classic or brand new)!

Olivia xo

12 comments:

  1. Great movie picks! One of my fave movies is cleopatra staring Elizabeth Taylor long movie but so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I will have to look out for that one as I have never seen any films with Elizabeth Taylor in!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, i'm ashamed to say I haven't seen any of these! haha I need to start watching some classics!

    Renee | Life After Lux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, a lot of people haven't! Hope you found some inspiration in my little list though!

      Delete
  3. I've never watched or heard anything about these, but they sound great! I love parent trap!
    Amy xx
    amyrosexoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen the parent trap, I will have to look out for it!

      Delete
  4. These are some amazing movie picks! I love all movies whether new or old one of my favourite times of film is the 80s but I think it is because I am so uneducated when it comes to classics so I will definitely be watching these.

    - Ellie Xxx

    @thatweirdoellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love 80's movies too- especially dirty dancing, and back to the future!

      Delete
  5. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen any of those, I'll definitely have to watch some classics soon x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hope you found some you liked from the list to hopefully watch!

      Delete
  6. Great list!
    www.evdaily.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10