How to Cope with Flying...When you're a Bad Flyer

Thursday, 14 July 2016


I, like many others, have a definitive yearning to travel the world and see so many of the wonders and countries that make up this planet of ours. I, like many others, want to travel far and wide across the great expanses of the globe, and check destination after destination off my bucket list.

But I, like many others, hate flying. Yes, I really do despise it, and from the moment I take off, to the moment I land, I really am not in the best of places or moods- the thought of flying thousands of feet above the ground scares me a fair bit, and the uncomfortableness of sitting in such a small space for such a long time makes me feel pretty ill. Nevertheless, I do still fly, because at the end of the day I know that I have to in order to reach the destinations that I so look forward to visiting. I hate the idea of flying, but get by, and do it anyway...and I therefore thought I would share some of my tips on how to cope with flying (if you hate it as I do), and how to ultimately make the best of a bad situation.


Distract Yourself...if there's a part of the flight that you aren't too keen on (for me said section would be the take-off), it's a good idea to distract yourself at that time. In my case, I usually just put my headphones on and pretty much blast out my music, as this helps my mind to deviate from thinking about my fears. However, it really does depend on each individual person as to how they want to distract themselves- some might read a book or a magazine, whilst others might just have to a chat or close their eyes for a while.



Get Comfortable (or as comfortable as possible)...if you are to be on the plane for a good while, you definitely want to be as comfortable as possible for the duration. I personally like to pull on a nice comfy sweatshirt (if I'm not wearing one already), as I does tend to get quite cold up in the air, and also take my shoes off and pop on some nice fluffy socks instead. I also find it helpful to move my legs around as much as possible, and basically sort of fidget about, else I start to get pins and needles in different areas of my body (plus, moving about and having a walk could help you to get over sitting in such a small area for such a long time).

Keep Busy...this is pretty much the same as distracting yourself in essence, but it instead involves keeping yourself occupied for the entire flight. If you are to sit through a very long flight, it's best to pull out all the stops in terms of keeping busy, as it has occurred to me on past flights that sitting in a chair for 8 hours plus can get incredibly boring. Long haul flights do have entertainment systems so you can watch films, tv and listen to music also (I would encourage everybody to take full advantage of this, and watch as much as possible throughout the flight, as it really helps the time to fly by, quite literally), but in terms of my own efforts I do also like to keep a good supply of magazines and books with me to further entertain myself.



Look Forward...for me, this is probably the most important aspect in getting through a flight. I do, ultimately dislike flying, but if I think about the place that I am heading towards then it does help to make me feel a little better about doing something that I don't like. Although flying isn't my favourite past time, it is totally worth enduring this mode of transport in order to see the world- however, when coming back home it is a little more difficult to look forward (especially if you are going from lovely weather to the dismal, rainy sort instead) so I just try and think of nice things that are coming up for me in the future.

It can be difficult doing something like flying if you don't really like it (I know this feeling quite well, as the thought of flying scares me, but when you think about it thousands upon thousands of people do it without so much as batting an eyelid all the time, so it really can't be all that bad), so hopefully at least one of these tips might just improve the experience for you.

Thank you for reading anyway, and if you have any further flying tips, please mention them in the comments below!

Olivia xo



16 comments:

  1. These are some great tips! I'm really not a fan of flying either & I definitely find that blasting my music in my headphones at the take off and landing does help me distract myself. I close my eyes and try to concentrate on the lyrics :) It's worth the struggle to get to such beautiful destinations!

    www.raiin-monkey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I try to blare my music as loud as insanely possible!

      Delete
  2. Glad you posted this as I'm jetting off on Monday!! I'm flying alone too, which I am so so nervous about...and I hate flying as it is, so I know I will be scared out of my mind. I'm taking a book, notebook, and having music to listen to, hopefully it helps take my mind off it!!
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will be fine, but flying alone is a very scary prospect (it's pretty brave of you to do it!)

      Delete
  3. I love flying but get air sick. So dramamine and no reading. But, I watch movies on my laptop. Being distracted is important. I'll never forget my sister grabbing my arm when we took off then turbulence. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel kind of sick when flying too, and I always panic in turbulence!

      Delete
  4. I love flying but get air sick. So dramamine and no reading. But, I watch movies on my laptop. Being distracted is important. I'll never forget my sister grabbing my arm when we took off then turbulence. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flying! As i've never had a bad experience, but I do know a lot of people who hate it so these are some very good tips for them!
    Amy xx
    amyrosexoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I wish I loved it like you!

      Delete
  6. I haven't been on a plane in ages but I'm sure this post is very helpful for nervous flyers x
    blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, will come in helpful soon :)

    http://nikoleannj.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips!

    www.withinthepassion.com

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10