Blogging Tips

Monday, 15 February 2016


After blogging for almost a year now (madness, I know!), I thought that maybe I could in fact share some blogging tips with you all, especially those of you who are just starting out with your blog, or thinking of making one. For ages I didn't think that I was experienced enough in blogging to write out some of my own tips and tricks, but a few months later along the line and I think I'm ready to share some points with you. Although, I of course, don't have as much knowledge as those who have been blogging for years, I have learnt a heck of a lot in a short space of time, so here goes...

1. Write about something you love...
This is a bit of an obvious one, because you can tell straight away from reading someones writing whether or not they are truly interested in such a topic. Voice is incredibly important in blogging, and as I'm writing about my passions I have found it easy to establish such a voice. However, others don't find it so easy to add meaning to their words when writing about topics that's simply don't interest them. Please don't write about something just because someone else is writing about that topic, or because you think it sounds cool; instead write about something you actually have an interest in, because after all, what's the point in writing about it otherwise!


2. Spend time on making your page look right...
You blog definitely does not have to look exactly the way you want it to look straight away- I know mine definitely didn't, and it still doesn't look 100% perfect in my eyes, even to this day. That's why you should take some time to just tweak different bits and bobs of your page using whatever blogging platform you prefer. Change your colour theme, your font, your gadgets, your photos and see which looks the best and more importantly, works best for you! Furthermore, if your page looks as though it has had no thought go into its layout or look, chances are people will see this and not be attracted to return to your page or even carry on reading your posts. So a little time and effort will go a long way, and will definitely satisfy everyone.

3. Planning is the key...
It took me all too long to realise this-last minute post writing is definitely not ideal. I came to find this out sooner rather than later (thank goodness), and now I like to plan everything in advance. To do this, I simply bought myself a little notebook, and jot down dates and ideas whenever they pop into my head. I then take all my photos for future posts by taking a look in my notebook, edit them all, and then start to write down my thoughts on blogger. Planning will definitely save you from a lot of last minute stress, and what's more, a planned blog post is normally a lot nicer to read than a rushed ten minute attempt.


4. Good photography makes the blogging world go round...
I feel a surge of jealousy every single time I scroll down my Instagram feed, or look at other people's blogs-their photos are all truly beautiful. Sometimes, I look at mine and think they look appalling in comparison, whereas other times I think they look alright (and you will most likely, as a blogger face these feelings too). But, as a blogger that is what it's all about. Good photos are the key to a lovely looking post that is sure to draw people's attention in, and even if you aren't amazing at photographer to start with, like all things you will improve with a little practice and editing!



5. Social Media is your best friend...
This is again a fact that I learned very quickly upon starting my blog. Twitter gives you the chance to actually get involved with the blogging community, which is lovely considering you all share the same sort of passions, and with chats on practically every night of the week it's easy to slip in amongst new people. Instagram also is amazing to get inspiration and share some of your own, and Bloglovin is a must to share your posts and blogging activity. Overall though, I have made so many lovely friends since blogging and gained many loyal readers and followers-all thanks to social media really, so it's vital to get involved if you really want to go all out with your blog.

6. Please, have fun...
Lastly, and most importantly, enjoy the whole experience. Blogging is quite a new hobby in the grand scheme of things, and its growing and developing all of the time, so take every moment to appreciate it all. I find it so strange to think of my little page in the beginning, with no followers, no readers, and no posts. Now though, I am lucky enough to have thousands (I can't believe I'm actually saying this) of you following me and supporting me, and for that I am insanely grateful...but I'm also enjoying blogging just as much as the day I started, which is ultimately the most important part!

I really do hope at least one of these tips help at least one of you, as I know that if I had read some advice when I started my blog, I would have found it incredibly helpful!

Thank you for reading, as always,

Olivia xo 

12 comments:

  1. Planning is really very important, that way you can invest time in your pictures and don't have to make do with whatever you get on a rainy day.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about the instagram jealousy and blogging photos! I never feel like mine are good enough- but it's a real learning curve and we're our own worst enemies, right!? These are all great tips and congrats on a whole year of blogging! I'm not quite there yet myself.

    Lindsey Elyse | lindseyginge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, glad you find them useful!

      Delete
  3. Thaank you for this!!! So helpful! I always compare my blog to other blogs and feel so disheartened, and also with my Instagram and photography. I think it's natural though, everyone tends to compare. I deffo want to feel more comfortable and happy with my blog though. I also love the point about blogging about what you love, and your voice will show. Deffo agree with this, this is why I made my blog a lifestyle one, so I could talk about different things I love!! :) xxx
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, I love your blog and you can definitely see the passion in your writing :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the lovely tips! Well done for blogging for so long, you have improved so much and it has been lovely to watch! Your photos definitely aren't appalling! Keep practicing and you will start to grow in confidence x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, it's weird to look at my old posts from almost a year ago because it seems like a different person has made them!!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful tips. Social media is sooo important and I feel like having fun is a must. That is the point of it right. To have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I agree about writing about what you love. If you don't love it then what's the point?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it annoys me when people just do it for the sake of it!

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10