Revision Tips & Tricks

Sunday, 17 January 2016

As a student in my final year of high school, I know the pressures of exams all too well-even as I speak I am sitting two weeks of trial exams ahead of my real GCSE's in the spring. To make myself confident for my exams, I really do think that doing some revision is the best thing as I personally have to write and answer questions in order for subjects and topics to get into my head...

I don't claim to be the best at revising, but I have definitely learnt which methods work the best for me now (about time after nearly five years), and for anyone who is struggling to study or put their mind to revising, in this post I will just be sharing a few of my simple revision tips.


Get Comfy...don't be sat at the kitchen table on a rock hard chair that numbs your back/bum beyond belief, as that is simply a recipe for you to get bored and move away from the revising pretty quickly. Instead, I always sit or lie on my bed surrounded by lots of pillows and cushions so I can move around every so often to avoid the dreaded pins and needles.

Don't Forget The Snacks...obviously don't over indulge too much, but maybe just keep a drink and a bowl of sweets or a packet of crisps handy to dip into every so often. Normally, I will just have a cup of tea by the side of my bed and a plate of biscuits by my side, because food makes everything better right?

Listen To Music...I know that some people find this incredibly distracting, but I honestly do not know what I would do without my music in times of revising. When picking my music, I try to choose slower and more relaxing songs so I can still focus, but have a sing-a-long at the same time.

Add Some Colour...boring school books and text books are enough to put anybody off studying, so instead get out the coloured notebooks and pens to make your work a little brighter. I also find that making my notes, and correcting my work in bright colours helps me to pick up little pieces of information when quickly scanning through my revision the night before my exams.

Take Breaks...this is definitely the most important part, as flat out revising is probably the worst thing to do-in my personal experience is merely stresses me out, and to be honest my brain starts to reject any additional information after a while anyway. Therefore after about an hour/half hour of studying, take a break. Watch the TV, go on your phone, or perhaps even start a new series on Netflix that you can catch up on between revision breaks.

I really do hope at least one of these tips might prove a little useful for those of you struggling to find your way when revising. Personally I can't stand studying, and always find it a bit of a chore, but when I add a few of the above tips into the mix it becomes almost bearable.

Thank you for Reading,

Olivia xo

12 comments:

  1. Such a good post.. taking a break is the most important tip as sometimes when you force yourself to do more you just end up wasting more time!

    Albana Janjeva | Stylist | January Swimwear of the Month

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a useful post, especially as I'm in the same situation (my mocks finished last week - yes!). I also find that studying in short amounts over a longer period of time helps reduce stress levels a lot! It meant that instead of panic last minute revising I could relax the night before, knowing that I knew the stuff and wasn't going to do badly. It made me feel a lot better about myself and, I think, helped my grades. Good luck with your exams this year!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another week of mocks to do :-( and I agree! Thank you, good luck to you too!

      Delete
  3. They are great tips! I was thinking of doing a post like this because I have some really different tips that helped me but one of the main ones was listening to The sims soundtrack! It's amazing to concentrate trust me! Lovely post as always x

    Nicole x
    have you joined my new blogging community #SpeakUp about raising awareness of issues that affect young people health and wellbeing! Find out more here http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/new-exciting-project-speakup_17.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely write about this, I love learning new tips as well!

      Delete
  4. I am sitting my GCSE's this year as well so I'm in the same boat as you. These tips were really helpful though, good luck! x

    Kate// katerosexo1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a stressful time, but thank you and good luck to you too!

      Delete
  5. Great tips! Snacks is a must and also music helped me. I put Shakira's Spanish album on so I had something to listen to but because I didn't understand the words I didn't distract too much. Good luck with your upcoming GCSEs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea actually, I normally put my music on quite quiet so it's just background noise!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely loved this post Olivia! I know what you mean about the music - I cannot revise without music, my mum thinks I'm crazy revising with music on!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daisy!! My mum is the same, but I can't revise without it at all! X

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10