Not Worth The Hype - Bourjois Bronzing and Highlighting Duo

Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Hello Again, 

I never normally review anything in a negative way on my blog, as I like to create posts that help to recommend products rather than slate them. But I have been thinking and in all honesty it would be wise for me to also create some posts containing constructive criticism towards certain products, and explain why they don't work for me as this can also be helpful to read when on the lookout for a certain type of product.

Today, I will be talking about a particular product that I have found myself to be quite disappointed with, considering the hype that I have seen it receive in recent times. That product is the Bourjois Bronzing and Highlighting Duo...


Yes, it looks nice enough, and is the typical Bourjois chocolate bar looking bronzer except one side is bronzing and the other highlighting. I was super excited when I bought this product, as I had seen it advertised in many magazines and also recommended quite frequently. The fact that it was a two in one product was very appealing, and for the price of ... I thought I was going to be getting a great deal.

Upon buying it, everything was going well-The product smelt really nice, and the packaging was sturdy so it wasnt likely to get damaged during travel etc. Magnets helped to attach the flip opening together as well, so it would stay in place so that nothing could get into the bronzer/highlighter. 

Then, I went to apply it to my skin and everything began to fall apart. My skin is very pale anyway so I thought the bronzer would show up extremely well on my skin, yet it didn't on the first brush stroke, nor the next, or even the one after that. It was only after applying what seemed like a hell of a lot of bronzer that I started to see a tiny tint of a darker shade appear on my cheeks. 

It also seems, that the highlighter doesn't really fair any better-it didn't really highlight or in fact have any impact on my skin at all. This left me feeling disappointed as never before have I had the problem of a bronzer not showing up on my skin (because of its fairness, most of the time the bronzer shows up way too much on my skin!).


Nowadays, I can't really get any colour out of the bronzer at all as the highlighter has coated over the top of it,(see above image) despite the fact that I have been using separate brushes for both. It probably didn't help that the two different sections are very small and hard to get a brush on to without picking up and mixing either product into the other.

As you can all probably tell from the general context of this post, I won't be repurchasing this product. I still love Bourjois and I have never had a negative experience with any of their other products, but sadly this one just didn't work for me...

Have you ever tried this product? If so, how did you get on with it?

Thank you for Reading,

Olivia xo

24 comments:

  1. Aw no :( this is a shame, I've heard such good things about this product, how disappointing for you :( xxx

    sophiejc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was really sad because everyone raves about it and I thought it would be amazing! Obviously just not for me :-( x

      Delete
  2. I feel the exact same way!! I have pale skin so I have a problem with the bronzer and highlighter showing up for me! :( XOXO
    www.beckybobble.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have this problem too, I felt like I was the only one! My skin is so awfully pale :-/

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this review- was really tempted to get this but always had my doubts about the highlighter, and the bronzer doesn't sound all that great either! I'll stick to Benefit Hoola! xo

    Naomi // Getting To Nomi
    naomiupton.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, and I'm glad it helped you! It may work fine for some people but I think I will stick to my Hoola too :-) x

      Delete
  4. I love reading critical posts because they really tell the truth! I have the normal chocolate bronzer, without the highlighter, and had the same pigment issue with it at first. I now only really use it to contour using my fingers to paint it on then then a brush to buff it in - this seems to work a lot better and I do really like the product now. I guess it's just finding ways to make it work (although having to do that is it itself really annoying haha!)

    Imii xx | nettleandblackberry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'm glad you have told me to do it that way, as I would have never thought of it myself! I will have to give it a try and see how t goes x

      Delete
  5. I find there's no pigmentation with the original Bronzer too! I thought maybe I just had a dodgy one because so many people raved on about it - I'm glad to hear it's not just me!!

    Neelam // neelamjayna.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one either, I was thinking I was not using it right or something as everyone else loves it! X

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried this but I've found their normal bronzer in the same packaging coats very quickly too! It's the only product I have this problem with!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that someone Else has this problem, I thought it was just me!

      Delete
  7. I had a weird feeling that would be the case with this - I don't know why as like you said everything looks great on first impressions! Thanks for sharing, honest reviews, good & bad, are all really helpful 😊✨

    www.makemeupmarie.com xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, i found it so weird that it didn't work as well as I thought as it looks so lovely and the packaging is great! Yes, I do find a mix of positive and negative helpful so hopefully I will be posting more different views in the future! X

      Delete
  8. I haven't used this before - doesn't seem too fantastic

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may work differently for different people with different skin tones, but it just obviously isn't for me.

      Delete
  9. I have the original one without highlighter and I love it to death! Such a shame this one disappointed you so much, but it actually sounds disgusting :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think it works differently with lots of different people! Maybe the original without the highlighter would be better as then the two shades wouldn't blend as mine have done

      Delete
  10. I've never been a big bronzer type but I always used to point this out to people when they came into Superdrug looking for a bronzer. I might have to point them in a different direction now, or at least give them more options. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Jessica Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why you would point people in its direction, because it gets so much hype and in all honesty it does look lovely! Maybe it would work so some people of applied in a different way!

      Delete
  11. Aw, what a shame. I do love reading posts like this because it stops me wasting time on a product, I hate when things aren't worth the hype!! Thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I'm just glad people won't waste their money and be disappointed like me!

      Delete
  12. I bought this at the same time as I bought the Delice De Poudre on it's own and I found that this duo was awful. I'd have the same review as you do, but I do love the bronzer on it's own. It's almost like a completely different product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should try out the bronzer on it owns then, at least I know with that one the two can't mix together!!

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10