Baking - Jammy Dodger Biscuits

Thursday, 6 August 2015

Hi Again,

I have never created a baking post before, but thought it would be really fun to do seeing as I love baking anyway, and I like to include more lifestyle related posts in my blog every now and then.

Today, I tried my hand at a recipe that I have never tried before, but have had my eye on for a while. That recipe was a spin on the classic recipe for Jammy Dodger biscuits, and I found it a few months ago in Essentials Magazine (http://www.essentials.co.za). I wasn't sure whether the recipe would work out completely, as sometimes biscuits can be a bit hit and miss with my baking. Fortunately though, they went pretty much to plan in the end so I can happily write about them in this post...


Ingredients-
250g butter
150g caster sugar
1 medium egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
300g plain flour
Icing sugar, to dust 
Strawberry Jam, to fill the biscuits

Method-
1. First, I creamed the butter and sugar in a large bowl until it was a relatively smooth mixture. Then, I beat in the egg yolk and vanilla. 
2. Next, I added the flour and mixed it using my hands (definitely not my favourite part) to make sure all of the mixture had collected together to form a ball of dough.
3. I then kneaded it gently on a floured surface, before rolling it into a ball again and wrapping it in cling film. The dough then went in the fridge to chill for around 20-30 minutes.
4. After those 20-30 minutes were up, I heated the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. On my floured surface, I then proceeded to split the dough into two bits- one for the bases of the biscuits which would just be simply cut from my circle cutter, and the other for the tops of the biscuits which would have butterfly shapes cut in the middle to show the jam through.
5. I rolled out the dough, and then cut out roughly 10 bases from my one section of dough and placed them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. I then rolled out my other bit of dough and cut out another 10 tops with butterfly cutter holes in the middle- these also went onto another baking tray that was also lined with baking paper.
6. Before putting my biscuits in the oven I had a bit of dough left, so I cut out some butterfly shaped mini biscuits (see in the above and below images) to cook as well, and I placed those into any spaces I had on my baking trays.
7. Then, both trays went into the oven for about 12 minutes (or just until the biscuits were golden brown).
8. Upon removing the biscuits from the oven, I left them to cool for a while before spreading some jam on the bases.
9. I then sandwiched them together with the tops and sprinkled some icing sugar over them to finish off the look.


These biscuits, on the whole, were pretty easy to make and took about an hour or so to complete. By the end, they looked pretty cute and tasted pretty good too so were definitely worth the time and effort I put into them.

I hope you all enjoyed this kind of post, as it is very different from the kind of things that I normally write about, but I really want to do more posts like this in future.

Thanks for reading,

Olivia xo

P.S. I now have an Instagram account (oredfern1) and would love you all to follow me. I will be posting photos to do with my blog and other things that go on in my life, so please check it out and I will follow back 
:-)  https://instagram.com/oredfern1/





19 comments:

  1. These look so professional! I love Jammie Dodgers so these sound really tasty!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, that is super kind of you! They are a seriously good bake for jammy dodger lovers! X

      Delete
  2. I'm a definite Cookie Monster - honestly I think I could probably live off of biscuits for a couple of days, before I started craving fresh fruit and veg!! These jammy dodgers not only look gorgeous but were making my mouth water!! Beautiful post - I look forward to trying this recipe. Sammie http://www.feastingisfun.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here and thank you, glad I could give you some inspiration! X

      Delete
  3. Awh these look gorgeous! Love the butterfly design, really cute, thank you for the recipe.
    Fashionable F00d

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Olivia!
    Those love so yum! You did an amazing job!
    Thanks for follwing me on Bloglovin! I'm glad I got to visit yours through there!
    <3
    Shreya
    Bric-A-Brac.A fashion and lifestyle blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thank you so much. It's no problem and I'm glad we can both read each other's blogs now x

      Delete
  5. These look amazing!

    sophiejc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look gorgeous, I bet they tasted delicious too! It sounds like a good recipe and fun to make! :)

    Sian x Cakey Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes they were great to make but a bit messy aha (flour and icing sugar went everywhere) :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, homemade jammy dodgers! My husband would love these! They look so pretty too. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! Glad you liked them, you should try them out x

      Delete
  8. They look delicious! Charlotte xx http://charlottecallenderxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so good! Will have to try them out some time! x

    www.fashionbellezax.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)
09 10